Midwest Horse
March 29, 2024, 08:25:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to Midwest Horse

Home Help Gallery Login Register  

His spirit has risen!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: His spirit has risen!  (Read 82 times)
Shell

Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Level 3
« on: January 29, 2009, 11:05:13 pm »

Copied from Horse.com, the only thing I could think about is the FOB's are thinking Barbaro's spirit has come a live and their the ones to thank for it. Roll Eyes

Barbaro's Brother Nears the Starting Gate
by: The Associated Press
January 29 2009, Article # 13527

Nicanor, a full brother of the 2006 Kentucky Derby winner whose story captivated the racing world for months, will race for the first time either this weekend or next, trainer Michael Matz said Monday.

Nicanor had a solid five-furlong work Sunday at the Palm Meadows Training Center in Boynton Beach, Fla., and if all goes as planned, the 3-year-old colt will either race on dirt at Gulfstream Park this weekend or in a turf race the weekend of Feb. 7.

(Update: Nicanor has been entered in a maiden special weight race at Gulfstream Park Jan. 31. The one mile contest for 3-year-olds on dirt carries a purse of $40,000. Read more at the BloodHorse.com blog, "Tracking Barbaro's Brothers.")

Hall of Fame jockey Edgar Prado--who also rode Barbaro and called his time aboard the horse "the best trip of my life"--will be aboard Nicanor for the colt's debut, Matz said. Prado rode Nicanor during a workout two weeks ago at Palm Meadows.

The first three races of Barbaro's career were on turf before he switched to the dirt for the Holy Bull Stakes at Gulfstream and won, pointing him toward the 2006 Derby.

Barbaro won the Run for the Roses by 6 1/2 lengths--the largest victory margin for a Derby winner in 60 years--but saw his racing career come to a dramatic end at the Preakness, when he shattered three bones in his right hind leg in the opening strides of that race.

He defied the odds by surviving for eight months and enduring close to two dozen surgeries before being euthanized because of complications related to laminitis, an often life-threatening problem in horses who shift their weight to one leg in order to keep pressure off another injured limb.

The second anniversary of Barbaro's death is Thursday, and there's a certain irony that Nicanor's debut could come on what will be a bittersweet weekend for Barbaro's connections--Matz and owners Roy and Gretchen Jackson.

"He has worked like a nice horse," Matz said. "We just have to see. But yes, I'm excited to have him in the barn right now."

Report Spam   Logged
Tbitt

Vicious Misty - Put'en the smack down on baby Kal

Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Windows User Level 5
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:46:13 am »

Well, I'm not that caught up on/in the Barbaro craze.

But I am actually interested in seeing how this little guy does.

I wonder how much more crazed they can get?!??!  I'm afraid we are sure to find out!!!!  Shocked   Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Everything that irritates us about others, Can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. ~ Carl Jung (1875-1961)

“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”   John Wooden
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: